OMG, who is having a holiday food coma? I’m definitely one of them. Turkey for thanksgiving plus 5+ sides and desserts, pre-Xmas ramen and sushi session, Xmas lamb rack and prime rib followed by a post friend Xmas dinner of enormous, extravagant food glora: prime ribs, lanb rack, ha, turkey, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, shrimp, greens, salad, curry, sweet sour chicken, green beans plus 10+ desserts (yeah! we were forced to take home leftovers, yay!) then comes hot pot buffet for a friend’s birthday then more grand hot pot for New Year’s Eve; a big 1/2 lb burger for post NYE hangover then…another hot pot invite post NYD, ummm yeah, which we did not end up going!
How can I miss out on delicious food?! I’m sorry, but I am so big feasted out despite loving the companies and foods. My boyfriend and I just want to stay home to have a simple, nonclogging artery protein with a side of veggie to complete our meal. Like they say; “If you eat like the king everyday, eating lobster and abalone becomes tasteless”. Hence, the dish introduced here is a palate cleanser dish to help restart your New Year;s taste bud.
In Chinese families, white porridge may seem like a poor man’s meal that’s bland and but when eaten at the right time, it’s suppose to cleanse the palate of blahness, cleanse the digestive system of toxins and regulate the bowel, and invigorate new taste buds to form to taste food again. There’s story circulating that when the king finally tried white porridge from a rural town, he describes it as a heavenly meal from the mortal world.
Indeed, white porridge can be bland on its own hence adding lots of simple side dishes to go the porridge like ypu would with white rice will help make it a full brunch meal. The side dishes vary greatly and is totally up to you. Keep it simple like stir fry veggie plus some pickled goods or chili preserved bamboo shoots or roast veggies would do. The key is it should require minimal preparation if at all so you can prepare 3-4 side dishes in half hour. Do avoid red and fatty meat since you are trying to cleanse here. On this very day I made garlic stir-fry peapods, steamed fish with fish sauce and green onion, and pan-fried spam (this is processed pork, though it is a staple of many hong kong brunch dishes so it goes with our palate).
The porridge takes 40 minutes to make so start early. Ratio of rice to water is 1:6 or 1:8. You need a lot of water to get it to a nice consistency. The ratio I gave gives a medium consistency where you can still see grains of rice but they are starting to break down. If you like it more like wet rice, 1:4 is good–though I don’t think people like that–mushy rice basically eww. If you want a thin, soup-like consistency where the rice is broken down 1:10 is better.
1c cup jasmine rice
4-8 cups of water depending the consistency you want
- Cook on medium heat 40-50 minutes. Make sure water does not dry out or it will burn. You can always continue to add water and boil if you find the consistency too thick so start with 4 cups water then add as needed.
Str-fry Garlic Pea Pods
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp xiaoShing cooking wine
dash sea salt
- heat oil until hot. add garlic for 15 seconds until frant.
- Add pea pods and stir fry with garlic and oil until covered with oil. Sprinkle dash of sea salt on it. Add cooking wine.
- Lower heat to medium then cover to steam for 3 minutes. If wok is dry and green is burning, add a tsp pf water to it then cover and steam until green wilted but not mushy.
- Cver with thin foil loosely.
Steamed striped bass fish
1/2 striped bass with bones, cleaned and slightly salted.
2 tsp fish sauce
3 large slices ginger, julieened (1/2 on fish when raw, 1/2 on fish when cooked)
2-3 scallion, chopped
2 tbsp oil, hot!
- Place fish, 1/2 of ginger on top, and fish sauce on top of fish into a heat safe metal dish. Place into a wok or steamer with boiling water. Steam for 7 to 8 minutes until it flakes free from the bone. Remove and cover slightly with tin foil.
- Heat oil until steaming hot!
- Place scallion and remainder ginger onto top of fish, pour hot oil all over the ginger and scallion. It will sizzle heavenly! Cover with tin foil loosely.
Pan fried spam
1 tsp oil
3 slices of spam
- Heat oil until hot. Pan fry spam until golden on both side.
- Remove and cubed.
Serve all sides next to white porridge and guests can put what they want into the porridge as they want. Serve with white pepper on the side.